The Board for the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society is seeking a recording secretary. If you’re looking for a small but vital contract, this might be the position for you!
Applications are due Thursday, May 5, 2022 by 5pm. Read on for all the details and contact information.
Roundhouse Board Recording Secretary
The Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre is an active, community-engaged workplace—constantly in motion with people from all walks of life, immersed in recreation and arts & culture, steeped in Vancouver history. We are looking for someone to help our volunteer Board as their recording secretary, allowing them to focus on keeping the Roundhouse a well-run and integral community facility. This is a contract position.
Thursday, May 5, 2022, 5pm
Voted Best Community Centre six times in the Georgia Straight’s Best of Vancouver, the Roundhouse has served the Yaletown neigbourhood, and Vancouver at large, since 1997. The Roundhouse is a recreation centre, an arts & culture space, and a historic site, all housed in one architecturally unique building. We provide the space and opportunity for Vancouverites and out of town visitors to lead a healthy and meaningful life through our many programs and events.
Join our active and dedicated Board team as their recording secretary, keeping them on track with your professional and discrete work ethic. The Board Recording Secretary is responsible for maintaining the Board’s minutes and calendar, helps sub-committees as needed, and helps organize the AGM in November. Due to the pandemic, the Board currently meets online but hopes to start in-person meetings in the near future.
This position is with the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society which operates the Roundhouse jointly with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2SQ+, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All Roundhouse Community Society employees and contractors are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
- Assist the Roundhouse Board with their once a month meeting (~5:30-9 pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month) and once a year AGM (November). This includes coordinating room bookings and refreshments, taking/distributing/filing meeting minutes, assisting the Board President.
- Compile the annual report and assist with organizing the AGM.
- Breakdown: 10 monthly meetings, some committee meetings, the AGM (either in-person or online via Zoom).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience as a Board recording secretary, or similar.
- Ability to work independently, proactively, confidently and with minimal supervision.
- Clear communication skills and attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in an open, loud, active space.
- Comfortable setting up and running Zoom meetings.
- Proficient with Google Drive, Microsoft Office (Word).
- Working knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order is an asset.
- Preferred: typing speed of 50 WPM, or shorthand, for board/meeting minutes.
High school diploma plus a minimum of one year related experience.
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter and résumé to Kathryn Sweetapple at with Roundhouse Board Recording Secretary in the Subject line by Thursday, April 28, 5pm.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Annual contract for 120 hours: $2,400. Additional hours may be available.
The Board meets ~5:30-9 pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month, except in August and December. The AGM is usually in the third week of November.
ASAP, no later than June 2022 board meeting.