Join our dedicated staff team as our Production Manager/Technical Director. The Roundhouse sits at the centre of Yaletown serving a diverse community, and if you’re looking for a joyful challenge, this could be the gig for you.
Applications are due Thursday, April 21st, 2022 by 5pm. Read on for all the details and contact information.
Production Manager/Technical Director
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society
Thursday, April 28, 2022, 5pm
Voted Best Community Centre seven times by the Georgia Straight, the Roundhouse has served the Yaletown neighbourhood, and Vancouver at large, since 1997. The Roundhouse is a recreation centre, an arts & culture space, and a historic site, all housed in one architecturally unique building. We provide the space and opportunity for Vancouverites and out of town visitors to lead a healthy life through our many programs and events.
The Roundhouse Production Manager/Technical Director ensures the success of live productions and events at the Roundhouse. The position is responsible for managing all events in the Performance Centre and Exhibition Hall and in other areas of the building as requested. The Roundhouse holds approximately 400 events annually ranging from weddings to theatre and dance productions to art exhibitions. Given the nature of the position and the communities we serve, the Production Manager/Technical Director must possess both excellent technical skills and strong interpersonal skills, specifically working with diverse clients.
This position is with the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society which operates the Roundhouse jointly with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation. For day to day activities, the TD/PM will report to the Supervisor of Arts and Recreation Services at the Roundhouse.
- Event Management and Support – Working with Roundhouse staff and clients (e.g. partners, rentals, and community members) the PM/TD will oversee the planning and coordination of events including: layout, floor plans, schedules, timelines, production quotes and budgets, and all technical and facility requirements.
- Staff Supervision and Leadership – The PM/TD will be responsible for hiring, training, delegating, scheduling, assigning work, supervising, and evaluating support staff (e.g. Production Assistant, Head Technicians, Technicians, FOH and other event staff as needed).
- Safety/Risk Management – The PM/TD will be responsible for all aspects of safety pre-event, during the event, and post event including: event equipment set-up and operation (e.g. staging, rigging, fire safety, lighting, seating), crowd flow/control, loading/unloading, and emergency management procedures.
- Maintenance of Equipment/Facility – The PM/TD will be responsible for all equipment in the Performance Centre and Exhibition Hall, arranging for regular maintenance work and the purchase of supplies, as well as making recommendations for the purchase of new equipment and the on-going renewal of performance and exhibition spaces. The PM/TD will liaise with outside suppliers and Vancouver Park Board maintenance staff as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid understanding of the goals and mandate of the Roundhouse.
- Event management skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Proven ability to work with a diverse client group.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, time management skills.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Leadership skills, creativity, vision.
- Excellent team skills, with the ability to work both in team and independent work environments.
- Ability to work in a complex, flexible and adaptable environment.
- Experience working with community engaged arts or in a community centre is an asset.
- Ability to work in a flexible and adaptable environment.
- Ability to work & collaborate with the Board and community members.
- Minimum 3 years technical experience in a live venue
- Explicit technical knowledge of lighting and sound systems and other facility equipment as used in theatre and exhibition spaces.
- Familiarity with Employment Standards Act as it pertains to the scheduling, and management of support staff.
- Supervisory experience in managing part–time staff.
- Experience with Risk Management processes and WCB requirements.
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of AutoCAD, Excel and outlook.
Qualifications and Certifications:
- LPEC Certificate with LE or FE plus rigging qualifications is an asset.
- Lift ticket and working at heights certification
- Drivers license (considered an asset)
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, résumé and portfolio (URL or PDF) to Roundhouse Board of Directors at with Roundhouse Production Manager in the Subject line by 5:00 pm Thursday, April 21st, 2022.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A competitive package will be offered commensurate with experience.
A salary range of $68,360 – $74,170 is included.
40 hours per week, generally Monday through Friday. Due to event schedules, flexibility with hours is required and weekend and evening work will also be required.
May 30th 2022
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society – Board of Directors